The MUSEUM of THE BUMILLER COLLECTION is accommodated in a historical town house in the heart of the old town of Bamberg, which has been a World Heritage Site since 1993.
On the site of the present museum building a house is first mentioned in 1321. The foundations of the vaulted brick cellar, that is used for temporary exhibitions and performances, are remains of this medieval structure. The present building was rebuilt by the town court clerk Johann Merzell in 1584 after a fire destroyed the old one. The family crests on stone plaques which were originally affixed to the outside are now presented in the stairwell on the first floor. At the beginning of the 18th century the building was the home of the court and chamber councillor Fortenbach and his family. The baroque inner fixtures date to this time, when many buildings in Bamberg were “prettified” by adding baroque elements on the out- or inside. Among these are wall and ceiling frescoes as well as stucco decorations. The enchanting stucco ceiling in the garden saloon was created by none other than Johann Jakob Vogel. He was the first resident stucco master to the Bamberg prince-bishops. The inner architecture of, for example, the New Residence, the church of St Stephan in Bamberg and the monasteries of Ebrach and Banz were created by him. The façade was fashioned in its present form in 1866, when the baroque elements were removed.
In 1992 Manfred Bumiller bought this architectural gem in the Austraße 29 and until 1995 that he elaborately restored until 1995. On the 13.01.1995 the “Museum of Early Islamic Art” was opened.
While the collection was continually expanded until 2017, at present attention is focused on the care, research and publication of the collection. For this reason, the museum operations were expanded to include the STUDIO in Berlin-Kreuzberg. Responsible for the museum and the collection is the BUMILLER ART FOUNDATION.
Cooperation with the University of Bamberg
It is the THE BUMILLER ART FOUNDATION’s concern to present high quality products of Islamic metallurgy and to make them available for research and learning. Here the affiliation with a scientific institution is of central importance. Bamberg, due to its proximity to the Institute of Oriental Studies of the University of Bamberg, is ideal in combining all exigencies. Among all the disciplines of Oriental Studies the institute also offers a course on Islamic Art History and Archaeology, the only one in Germany. As a place of regular conferences, among them the conference of the Ernst Herzfeld Society or the German Orientalist Meet, it is a regular venue for international experts on Islamic Art.
Prof. Dr. Lorenz Korn, the chair of the department for Islamic Art History and Archaeology, was already a member of the advisory committee of the Bumiller Art Foundation when in 2008 the long standing relationship between the museum and the university of Bamberg was sealed with a co-operative agreement. The museum, originally known as he “Museum for Early Islamic Art” is now known as the “University museum for Islamic Art”.
Through its central location, the immediate proximity to the Institute of Oriental Studies and the university library the museum and the university infrastructure are ideal for use by researchers, experts and students in both institutions. Students can rely on extensive teaching collections which contain all material groups. Unlike any other museum this museum allows research and university teaching about Islamic Art from the source in an unbureaucratic way.
The museum has an extensive reference library as well as rooms available for seminars.
Fakultät Geistes- und Kulturwissenschaften, Universität Bamberg:
Islamische Kunstgeschichte und Archäologie
|Phone:||+49 (0)951 259 54|
|Opening Hours:||Friday & Saturday and by appointment|
|Admission:||Free, donations are welcome|